Welcome to the Radius Group Website
Welcome! We hope you will find this site both interesting and informative as you explore the ongoing research in our group. Our goal is to do exciting and innovative chemistry while having a little fun in the process!
Our main research interests lie in the application of N-Heterocyclic Carbenes (NHCs) and related Molecules in Main Group Element and Transition Metal Chemistry, which currently comprises
- Reactivity of NHCs and related molecules with main group element hydrides and organyls 
- Ring expansion reactions of NHCs and related molecules 
- Synthesis and reactivity of transition metal complexes (mainly group 8 – 12 metals), which are stabilized with NHC ligands and related molecules 
- Element element bond activation reactions using these complexes 
- Use of these complexes in material science and catalysis, with a certain emphasis on catalytic C-F bond activation reactions 
See for example:
 (a) H. Schneider, D. Schmidt, U. Radius, Chem Commun. 2015, 51, 10138–10141. (b) H. Schneider, D. Schmidt, U. Radius, Chem. Eur. J. 2015, 21, 2793-2797.
 (a) D. Schmidt, J. H. J. Berthel, S. Pietsch, U. Radius, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 8881–8885. (b) P. Hemberger, A. Bodi, J. H. J. Berthel, U. Radius, Chem. Eur. J. 2015, 21, 1434–1438. (c) S. Pietsch, U. Paul, I. A. Cade, M. J. Ingleson, Udo Radius, T. B. Marder, Chem Eur. J. 2015, 21, 9018–9021.
 (a) T. Schaub, U. Radius, Chem. Eur. J. 2005, 11, 5024-5030. (b) F. Hering, J. Nitsch, U. Paul, A. Steffen, F. M. Bickelhaupt, U. Radius, Chem. Sci. 2015, 6, 1426–1432.
 (a) T. Schaub, P. Fischer, A. Steffen, T. Braun, U. Radius, A. Mix, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 9304–9317. (b) B. Zarzycki, F. M. Bickelhaupt, U. Radius, Dalton Trans. 2013, 42, 7468–7481.
 (a) T. Schaub, M. Backes, U. Radius, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 15964-15965. (b) P. Fischer, K. Götz, A. Eichhorn, U. Radius, Organometallics 2012, 31, 1374-1383. (c) D. Schmidt, T. Zell, T. Schaub, U. Radius, Dalton Trans. 2014, 43, 10816-10827.