- Member of the Advisory Board of the “Chinese Journal of Chemistry” (Wiley) (March 2018-)
- Member of the Advisory Board of “Inorganica Chimica Acta” (December 2010- December 2013)
- Member of the Advisory Board of “Applied Organometallic Chemistry” (2010 - 2013)
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Chemistry Central Journal" (2006 -)
- Member of the International Editorial Advisory Board of "Organometallics" (January 2006 - December 2008)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the "Canadian Journal of Chemistry " (January 2005
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Journal of Organometallic Chemistry" (January 2003 -)
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Polyhedron" (January 2002 - December 2004)
- Member of the Advisory Board of "Inorganic Chemistry" (January 1999 - December 2000)
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Crystal Engineering" (1997-2003)
- Special issue of Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, “Frontiers in Boron Chemistry,” 2003.
Durham Leader, Durham University – University of Rennes 1 CNRS PICS (2009 - 2010)
Durham Leader, Durham University – University of Rennes 1 CNRS LEA (European Associated Laboratory)
- External Examiner in Inorganic Chemistry, University of Edinburgh (1 October 1999 - 30 September 2002)
- External Examiner for Integrated Master’s, Master of Chemistry, University of East Anglia (2007-2010)
- External Examiner for Department of Chemistry, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman (2008, 2009)
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College (1 January 2003 - )
Canadian Society for Chemistry
- Member of the Nominating Committee of the CSC Division of Inorganic Chemistry (1996 - 1999)
- Member of the Selection Committee for the 1998 CSC Award for Pure or Applied Inorganic Chemistry
- Symposium organiser: CSC Conf. 1997, and Canadian organiser for symposia in Mexico and Hawaii
Royal Society of Chemistry
- Ordinary Member of the Dalton Division Council (July 2000 - June 2003)
Symposia and Conferences
- Member of the International Scientific Committee, IMEBORON Conferences.
- Member of the International Organising Committee, Euroboron Conferences.
- Member of the Academic Committee, 2nd International Conference on Boron Chemistry (ICBC-II), Taiyuan,
Shanxi, China, July 2019.
- Member of the Scientific Committee, 3rd International Caparica Conference on Chromogenic and Emissive
Materials, (IC3EM), Caparica, Portugal, September 2018.
- Session Chairman: 16th International Meeting on Boron Chemistry (IMEBORON 16), Hong Kong, China,
- Session Chairman: 1st International Conference on Phosphorus, Boron and Silicon (PBSi 2017), Paris,
France, July 2017.
- Organizer, symposium on “Novel Molecular and Supramolecular Theory and Synthesis Approaches for
Sustainable Catalysis” within the program on 'Green Chemistry for World Needs' at the 45th IUPAC World
Chemistry Congress, Busan, Korea, August 9-14, 2015.
- Session Chairman: 5th Asian Conference on Coordination Chemistry (ACCC5), Hong Kong, July 2015.
- Judge, poster and oral presentations of pre-university student research projects, 15th Asian Chemical
Congress (15 ACC), Singapore, August 19-23, 2013.
- Organiser, First RCUK UK-China Workshop on “Metals in Organic Synthesis: Towards Cleaner, Greener
ChemicalProcesses,” held at Peking University, Beijing, China, January 9-13, 2011.
- Session Chairman, PACIFICHEM 2010, Symposium on “Organoboron, Organosilicon and
Organophosphorus as Optoelectronic and Energy-related Materials,” Honolulu, Hawaii, December 2010.
- Chairman, Scientific Committee, RSC Dalton Discussion 12 Conference on “Catalytic C-H and C-X Bond
Activation,” Durham, September 13-15, 2010.
- Session Chairman, Inaugural (1st) International Conference on Molecular and Functional Catalysis,
Singapore, July 2010.
- Session Chairman: 23rd International Conference on Organometallic Chemistry (ICOMC), Rennes, France,
- Session Chairman: Co-Reach Conference (Co-ordination of Research between the EU and China),
The Royal Society, London, June 2007.
- Session Chairman: Symposium on "Recent Developments in Organoboron and Organosilicon Chemistry"
for the 5th International Congress of the Pacific Basin Societies, Honolulu, Hawaii, December 2005.
- Co-organiser, Second Durham One-day Symposium on “Synthesis and Applications of Organoboronates,”
May 10, 2004.
- Discussion Leader, RSC Dalton Discussion 6, “Organometallic Chemistry and Catalysis,” York University,
UK, September 9-11, 2003.
- Member of the Organising Committee, session chairman, and poster judge: 8th International Conference
on the Chemistry of the Platinum Group Metals, University of Southampton, July 7-12, 2002.
- Co-organiser, First Durham One-day Symposium on “Synthesis and Applications of Organoboronates,”
- Member of the Scientific Committee: 16th International Symposium on Fluorine Chemistry, University of
Durham, July 2000.
- Session Chairman, 34th International Conference on Coordination Chemistry, Edinburgh, July 2000.
- Co-organiser, Member of Local Organising Committee, Fund-raiser and Session Chairman: Tenth
International Conference on Boron Chemistry (IMEBORON X), University of Durham, July 11-15, 1999.
- Co-editor, "Contemporary Boron Chemistry", book of proceedings from the IMEBORON X conference,
published by the Royal Society of Chemistry, 2000.
- Canadian Organiser, Fund-raiser and Session Chairman: Symposium on "Transition Metal Group
13 Compounds Including Their Roles in Catalytic Processes" Fifth Chemical Congress of North America,
Cancun, Mexico, November 11-15, 1997.
- Organizer: Symposium on "Catalysis in Organometallic Chemistry: Models, Mechanisms and
Applications" 80th National Meeting of the Canadian Society for Chemistry, Windsor, Ontario,
- Canadian Organiser and Session Chairman: Symposium on "Metal Complexes of Carbon:
The Coordination Chemistry of Cx Ligands" for the 3rd International Congress of the Pacific Basin
Societies, Honolulu, Hawaii, December 1995.
- Co-organiser and Fund-raiser: 26th Inorganic Discussion Weekend held at the University of Guelph,
Guelph, Ontario, November 1993. Attendance was ca. 160.
- Co-organizer, Fund-raiser and Session Chairman: 23rd Inorganic Discussion Weekend held at the
University of Waterloo, November 1990. Attendance was ca. 150.
- Session Chairman: 11th Canadian Symposium on Catalysis/73rd National Meeting of the Canadian
Society for Chemistry, Halifax, N.S., July 1990.
- Session Chairman: Inorganic Division, Third Chemical Congress of North America (joint meeting of the
Canadian, American, and Mexican Chemical Societies), Toronto, Ontario, June 1988.
High School Governance
Parent Governor and Subject Governor for Science, Board of Governors, Durham Johnston Comprehensive
School, Durham, UK (October 2004 – October 2008).